Executive Director of Schools, Pepin Academies Hillsborough Campuses
A Unique Opportunity for a Unique Leader
Pepin Academies is currently seeking an exceptional and dynamic Executive Director to lead our team in Hillsborough County. The primary responsibilities will involve managing the daily operations of our campuses in Tampa and Riverview and to work closely with the School District of Hillsborough County, Pepin Hillsborough Board of Directors, and Pepin Foundation development team to create and execute the Pepin Academies fundraising and development strategy. The Executive Director will also be responsible for maintaining relationships with government, foundations, and individual partners, as well as raising awareness for Pepin Academies.
Established in 1999, Pepin Academies are 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit, tuition-free, public charter schools that serves students with specific learning and learning related disabilities. We educate students in 3rd through 12th grade, and also offer a transitional, job training program for students 18 to 22-years-old. Pepin Academies are considered Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Center schools. We feature a nurturing environment that focuses on improving the academic and social success of students. All students have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of extra-curricular activities such as sports, clubs, music, dance, culinary arts, theatre, and much more. Our goal is to make sure no child falls through the cracks.
Who Should Apply?
The individual is expected to be experienced in the field of nonprofit management and fund development and have expertise and/or training with Exceptional Student Education (ESE). Management, team building, relationship building, and a collaborative style are important attributes. Strong written and oral communication skills are essential. Experience with State and Federal Departments of Education is preferable. An advanced degree is required.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership throughout The Pepin Academies to achieve strategic goals and to develop and administer an outstanding academic program. As an educational leader, the Executive Director is responsible for setting and achieving the highest standards of excellence in educational programs and operating systems. This position includes responsibility to ensure financial stability and sound management of budget and finance, while advancing the growth of the Academies. The Executive Director is responsible for completing duties related to the board, managing risk, assuming all operational responsibilities, maintaining a culture of high expectations and accountability, developing and maintaining a positive image, and cultivating support within the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports, promotes and exhibits the mission, goals and values of Pepin Academies
- Provides leadership and support to the Board in the development of a long range strategic plan.
- Makes policy recommendations
- Submits to the Board recommendations relative to all matters requiring Board action, together with the materials needed for informed decisions
- Informs the Board of pertinent information on a timely basis
- Reports periodically on all school operations
- Conducts special studies as requested by the Board
- Works with committee chairs to develop committee agendas and provides timely support to committees
- In consultation with the Board President, prepares the Board agenda, handles Board correspondence and maintains all Board records, contracts, minutes, and documents
- Completes an annual report to present to the Board
- Remains current in expertise on ESE population macro-level needs and concerns
- Leads, guides and directs members of the administrative, instructional, and support teams in setting and achieving high standards of excellence in educational programs and operating systems
- Prepares and submits reports in a timely manner to district, state, and federal entities as well as to grant sources
- Maintains professional relationships with staff, parents, volunteers, community contacts and Board members
- Communicates effectively and in a timely fashion with the Board, staff, students, parents and community
- Fosters an environment that encourages continuous learning and improvement
- Provides oversight for student recruitment, lottery and retention process, ensuring full enrollment
- Develops budgets and adheres to limitations regarding financial planning and management of school resources
- Identifies adverse financial issues and submits recommendations to the Board for alternative actions
- Establishes relationships with key state and local funders and actively participates in state and local partnership groups and advisory committees
- Models and enforces integrity in reporting
- Communicates potential risk issues to the Board
- Ensures risk prevention and management practices are comprehensive, systematic and effective to protect Pepin Academies resources and assets, be they human, physical or financial
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels, resources and a productive work environment to accomplish Pepin Academies’ goals
- Maintains an open-door policy with visibility and accessibility for school personnel
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and retain highly qualified staff
- Holds ultimate responsibility for all services and actions conducted under the auspices of Pepin Academies
- Provides oversight of the Development & Marketing Plan activities and the successful achievement of targeted goals
- Maintains and promotes a positive and professional image within the local community.
- Cultivates effective relationships with constituents, community and business leaders, public officials, relevant professional organizations and potential contributors
- Participates in school events as well as local, regional, and national activities relevant to Pepin Academies